Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blogging from A to Z - Day 7 - G



I was going to write today about Geb, but since he is a well known and well documented god I decided to tell you little bit about Gengen Wer.

So, here we have it - day 7 of the challenge and G is for Gengen Wer a primeval goose whose onomatopoeic name means Great Honker.

The imagery is that of the goose carrying the egg from which life emerges. In order to be part of this creation, a continuing cycle in the Egyptian mind, a person in the Underworld might be described as closely guarding or actually being an egg within the Great Honker.

This goose, also colled the cackler ('Negeg' in Egyptian), is a form under which Amun can appear as a creator-god.

Tomorrow is a "day off" in the challenge but I will stay with my Egyptian theme and I will share with you progress on my Egyptian Sampler by Teresa Wentzler.

So long my friends,
Evalina



1 comment:

  1. Very cool and informative! Good luck with the challenge!

    Dianna Fielding
    Sociologyfornerds.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.