Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Flora: A

Deborah started another abecedarium and I decided to join her. She discovered that June 28 through July 4 is designated as American Flowers Week, so she is blogging about flowers. I love flowers too and in Canada every single province and territory has an official floral emblem.

Let's start with Alberta. 

 
Since 1930 Alberta adopted Wild Rose as it's emblem. I guess because in Alberta it can be found almost everywhere! Starts blooming in late May and lasts until early August.  The fragrant flowers are bright pink with petals 3-5 cm in size and can be used for the manufacture of perfume. The plant grows up to 1.5 m (5 feet) tall and has "bristle like" branches.  The larger stems are densely covered with small prickles with the occasional thicker thorn.

I absolutely love rose hip tea and rose hip jams. Wild roses are very abundant in the Yukon also. While I was living there June was my favorite time to take long walks and smell the roses.

Some are saying that smell of roses can be use for protection from ghosts and evil spirits.


And this is for my stitchy friends: Canadian Hearts by Victoria Sampler

 So long my friends,
Evalina

6 comments:

  1. Oh how fun Evalina! Wild roses are fabulous - and it's wonderful to hear they're so prevalent in Alberta. I'm with you in loving rose hips tea and jam - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These roses grew wild in the hedges of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful flowers! The blue bonnet is the Texas state flower.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Evalina. Looking forward to the other ones.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had the opportunity to have the rose hips tea or jelly, but would love to try it. What a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.