Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It was a cold day in the Yukon

It was, yesterday


Couple of years ago I set the cutting off point at -35 degrees Celsius, meaning that I will not start the engine in my car when temperatures reach -35C. Cars do not like cold temperatures. So I was home bound and I liked it. I finished my assignment for accounting course I'm taking and I stitched, and stitched.

With a horror in my eyes and heart almost stopping I noticed that I'd made a booboo in my Halloween House. I was sick when I started that project and maybe I can blame my cold for what happen. Mistakenly I turned my stitching 90 degrees and instead having fabric in landscape  layout, there it was - portrait. My fabric piece was too big for the project and for some unknown reason I did not trimmed it, thank goodness. So I start measuring and counting and it look like there will be enough width with an edge of barely 1 inch. I didn't trust my counting so I stitched a whole width of the project


and there it was, an inch and the quarter left on the right side. I'm safe, now I can stitch in peace. The project will not be centered nicely, but is doable. I'm finish it as a wall hanging so I'll be fine.

Now, I need your expert advice. The boarder is design as cobwebs and I do not like the way I started. (Click on the picture for more detailed view) I'm stitching these cobwebs with 1 strand of #415DMC. I tried long stitch and back stitch over 2 threads and I do not like effect of any of them. What to do? What I'm doing wrong? Please help! I think I  need a course in back stitching!

I have a new start... I know, I know, I thought I'm cured from startitis but Minnie of All xx's is stitching Sampler Rose and I wanted to stitch it since 2008. When I look at her WIP the urge was stronger than my sanity and I asked Minnie can we have a little SAL going. She said YES! Thank you Minnie, here is my new start:


I'm stitching it on 32ct antique white Jobelyn with Fall Splendor from Carrie's Creation. I hope it will not look so "noisy" with all the colors. My other choice of floss was DMC # 115 (red/dark burgundy variegated ). Will see after I have a little more done.

So long my friends,
Evalina

24 comments:

  1. I enlarged the picture and the cobweb looks fine to me, what don't you like? I would give my car a break at-40 too! I don't know how you keep your house warm at those temps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the ones on the left look much better! I didn't know the ones on the right were the cobwebs!

      Delete
  2. Brrr! That's cold. Like both projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh it is so cold..
    beautiful stitching..hugs cucki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cold! So glad your Halloween project is still doable! I agree with Nancy ... the cobweb looks fine to me : ) Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the long stitch cobweb for me! I nearly always do blackwork style backstitch as longstitches..
    The Rose Sampler is lovely. The colours are a "little" busy on the small piece but I think they'll be fine as it grows. But DMC 115 is one of my favourites too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 1! - Are you crazy?? that thermometer reading is BEYOND cold! OMGosh, I cannot imagine weather that cold and what if it is windy? I can't even begin to imagine your fuel bills.....but I am off track. So glad the fabric worked out afterall. I think I'd wait til the end before passing judgement on the cobwebs. And the color for your Rose Sampler is beautiful. I can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, it was literally 120 degrees warmer here today. That's ridiculous. I cannot even imagine -40°.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has turned her linen the wrong way!! (I think more than once!). I don't envy your temperatures but I would
    like a 'stitch day' by the fire.
    I enjoy your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were able to salvage the linen. And yay for staying home. Last year, I stayed home here due to ice. In Texas, they just don't have the proper snow removal equipment and it's really dangerous to drive. That's coming from an Wisconsinite who's used to snow. I miss my fleet of salt trucks and plows

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your spiderwebs are fine the way they are. When you are ready to stitch on the Rose Sampler again let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Как холодно у вас...
    Легких крестиков в вышивке.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Instead of a back stitch, I usually use a running stitch. It just seems to lay more smoothly in my stitching. But your cobwebs look fine to me.
    Wow, that Sampler Rose is a gorgeous (BIG) project! I probably would have stitched it in a single variegated color, but your autumn thread is beautiful. I look forward to seeing this one as you progress on it! ~ Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  13. well sooo pleased you had enough fabric for the haunted house ... the webs look realistic from where I am looking from *waving small paw across the pond where it is slightly warmer than where you are ... I've got the rose sampler in my to do pile too so can't wait to see more of your progress :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks REALLY cold. Thankfully it resulted in lovely stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love haunted house. The spider webs look fine to me!
    It's been very cold here in the UK too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! Talk about a close call with the fabric. I'm glad you are able to still work with it. I like the long stitched cobwebs on yours better. Good Call. :) This SAL is a lot of fun. Those temperatures by the way are crazy! I live in Miami so anything below 60 feels like its about to snow for us. I love your other project you are working on. Those colors are really pretty.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even if you stitch the cobwebs long stitch, I would still do it as a double running (like a dotted line, skip every other and then come back the opposite way and stitch the ones you skipped). My outlining always looks smoother that way. Thank goodness you salvaged the linen!!

    As for the temperature...you are a much hardier soul than I am. I cannot imagine living anywhere it got below 0, much less got down that cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my word, Evangelina. That's COLD!!!!!!!! Glad the fabric size worked out. As for the backstitching, they look good to me. Since webs are supposed to be thin and wispy, I think the effect is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous stitching glad you were able to save the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't see anything wrong with the cobwebs. But I see that a few people suggested a running stitch. I've never tried that stitch. I'll be curious to see what you decide to do...

    Baby it's cold outside!! What an understatement, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, these are temperatures that we never have here. And I'm glad about that, lol.
    I love your Halloween piece and I think the fabric you chose is really perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so pleased the fabric fits - I've made that mistake as well! Your cobwebs look fine to me.

    It got down to minus twenty something with wind chill here and that was more than cold enough for me. Good decision to stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank goodness you didn't have to start Halloween House over again! The fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.