Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J for Joy (A to Z Challenge)

Believe or not there is a joy in caring for person with Alzheimer's. I don't know if there is anything that could sound more confounding than finding pleasure in Alzheimer's. People with dementia have good and bad days. I'm very lucky because Theresa most of the time has good days and only sometimes 'bad' moments. She knows that she has the disease, her mother was affected by the same. She fully understand what future holds for her and she is a fighter. Together we are doing a lot of brain exercises and is a real joy to see her accomplishing things. She memorized her new address, new telephone number, she remembers names of our new neighbours. It's a fun to go out with her - this lady knows how to enjoy life, believe me. I know that Alzheimer's is progressive and not reversible but I hope she stays the way she is for a long time.

So long my friends,
Evalina

3 comments:

  1. I could definitely see there be pleasure. Especially on good days. There's a satisfaction there that I think it somewhat similar to when I help a student understand what they're learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand finding pleasure. Mom had a form of dementia and you quickly learn to enjoy the good days and store them in your memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful caregiver. I hope you will continue to keep us updated. I am learning so much by reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.