Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!!

Did you know that the history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean? Frobisher's Thanksgiving was not for harvest but homecoming. He had safely returned from a search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving the long journey. The feast was one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations by Europeans in North America. Frobisher was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him — Frobisher Bay.

Today, I'm spending my Thanksgiving all alone. Freddy is in Ontario and he will stay there to the end of the month. So... can you guess what I will do today? Of course! I will stitch!!! It looks like it will be a nice, crispy, sunny day in the Yukon - I will take Topaz for a long walk. And since I'm on the topic of stitching... I have a finish! I decided to finish my chickens as a wall hanging. I'm not a 100% satisfied with my finishing quality but it is my first ever attempt to make a hanging.


I came across a very cute design that I had to have it! I just finish stitching it and I think it will make a very nice bell pull, what do you think?


That's not all! I also finished a little blue square for my swap:


This square is a fragment of Nancy Rossi design - Bless this house.


It is a lovely design and since I enjoyed stitching part of it I decided to do a whole thing. Later on (today!) I will share with you my progress on this new WIP.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians!!!


So long my friends,

7 comments:

  1. Your first finishing project looks great to me. Sorry you had to spend the day alone, but looks like you were productive in the stitching department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new start and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Thanksgiving, Evalina.

    Bless This House is going to look gorgeous.

    Congrats on your finish!

    You chicken finish turned out really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes! Your chicken hanger looks great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute projects. Love how your WIP with Bless this home & how it will look completed. Like the chickens. Thanks for sharing.
    Chris B
    ccs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your stitching. Your hens turned out absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please enter me in the giveaway! Wonderful blog. Linda/PA
    grousehouse@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.