Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A to Z challenge - Atlin

During past A to Z challenges I was taking you to ancient Egypt and for a world tour - this time I want to tell you about little Canadian gems. One of them is a small community of 400 people in the remote northern British Columbia.

Atlin is often referred to as the Switzerland of the North. The name itself comes from the Tlingit word "atlah," that actually means "Big Water." Both of these descriptions are suitable for this small isolated community that sits on the province's largest natural lake and is surrounded by massive mountain ranges and ice fields.

There are tons of  things to do there: boating, fishing, skiing, hiking close to town, snowshoeing in the winter, mountain biking, horseback riding, and glacier hiking at two provincial parks nearby. Tatshenshini-Alsek Provincial Park is best known for its river system, while Atlin Provincial Park includes Atlin Lake, many more though smaller lakes, and melting glaciers. The town also boasts a diverse range of artists and a rich history of gold mining.
The busiest time in Atlin for locals and visitors is summer. The town's population – a mix of miners, artists, bush pilots, naturalists, trappers, professionals, and retired academics – drops to almost half during the winter months. Amenities in Atlin include few accommodations, two grocery stores, and some small shops and artist studios, a laundromat, an ATM, a gas station, a post office and a liquor store.

The town has the oldest board of trade in the province, yet remains unincorporated, meaning it has no official governing body. Instead, it has the Atlin Community Improvement District, which was created in January 2009. Committed and engaged citizens and hard-working volunteers are what make this town run and survive.

Whitehorse in the Yukon, about two plus hours north, is Atlin's service centre. That's where residents access doctors, dentists, lawyers, entertainment, and more. Many residents drive to the Yukon at least once every week or two to stock up on groceries and other supplies.

For more info about Atlin check here

So long my friends,
Evalina

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this beautiful place. Considering that I live in Washington State, that is a place I could visit. Is there a road to this area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning about the hidden gems of our beautiful country, Evalina... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love traveling, and this one took me far away from where I live. thanks for that!

    Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014

    Twitter: @damyantig
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed you back on your comment left for me through the A to Z challenge and am delighted to find a cross stitching blog! I am now looking forward to travelling around Canada from A-Z (especially as I have plans to explore your great country in the up coming years!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing dear
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci de partager avec nous les belles foto's et le magnifique commentair Marie-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your theme. What a great idea. Weaving words and pictures really makes a place real and available, even if we never get a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely place to visit.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the lovely photos and story of this beautiful place. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought my ticket for the Atlin music festival last night. It is a wonderful and lovely town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your A-Z posts, but will there be Canadian themed stitching as there was with the Eygptian one?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.