Friday, April 11, 2014

A to Z Challenge - Jake's Corner

Now I'm taking you back to the Yukon. Wonder what Jake's Corner is? I was too! It is on the map but to my surprise I found there only a gas station with the diner! Today the diner is closed leaving only gas station.

There also is a story about this place...

The site was initially established as a U.S. military base for the construction of the Alaska Highway. At that time, a colonel by the name of Jacobson was in charge of the base. Somewhat annoyed by the need to go through Carcross to get to Whitehorse, Colonel Jacobson decided to build a more direct route without waiting for the official authorizations. Today, when we drive on the portion of the Alaska Highway that runs along Marsh Lake, we’re driving on Colonel Jacobson’s road. Jake’s Corner would have been named after Colonel Jacobson.


So long my friends,
Evalina

10 comments:

  1. Interesting little spot. I've been to the Sunshine Coast, but not for a long time. BC does have a few little nooks and inlets, but not being a boater, I don't get to see them. Thanks for the images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Amber, part of co host Pam's Unconventional Alliance. Dropping in from the Blogging from A to Z challenge. Good luck!

    http://neversquatwithyourspurson2014.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a view there. I see you also lost a good friend in Feb. It would be a great place for a tiny house too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I am enjoying this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Australia has lots of stories like this. Our outback has evolved with a patchwork of non Aboriginal exploration and Aboriginal tradition in seriously remote locations. I was talking to some conservation guys from Kirrikurra on Wednesday. Now THAT's remote. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwE_iKCp29k

    This music is made by some crazy music graduates from Perth who call themselves Desert Feet. They have been going out into the desert for the past 5 years helping the Aboriginal land owners to record music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev, you just gave me an idea for the next post :)

      Delete
  6. I have never visited the Yukon - looks like an amazing landscape, though, which isn't surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look like such fun and interesting places to visit Evalina.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.