Saturday, November 2, 2013

Have you ever?

Have you ever lost car key? It happen to me yesterday... I live in a small community 40 miles from the city. Well, yesterday I decided it's time to go shopping, visit post office and do some banking. Oh, I wish I didn't go... I parked the car by the post office, went to pick up the parcel, left it in the trunk and that is the last time I remember to use the key. I must put it in my pocket I guess, and since pockets in my jacket are very shallow, the key just slipped out. I only walked one block to the bank and back... Later I walked same block at least three times, stopped at every little shop hoping someone return the key, called local radio stations, visited the police station - NOTHING, ZILCH. I also called my dealership, a guy came and at least had open the car doors and the trunk and I was so hoping that I dropped the key in there while leaving the box. Nope, no such luck. So here I am, 40 miles from home with 82 year old MIL who has dementia... I was more than frustrated. The car dealer offer to cut another key, reprogram it (stupid key must have programmable chip) and it would cost me around three hundred bucks plus the car must be towed there...

Then the phone rang. It was Freddy with the good news - neighbour's cousin was heading my direction and did not mind to bring my spare key. What a relief! Forty minutes later, finally I could start the car and drive!

Thank goodness that rest of the day went smoothly. I didn't have much time to work on my Halloween House but hopefully today and tomorrow I can find some extra stitchy time...

So long my friends,
Evalina

17 comments:

  1. Been there and done that! We bought a used car for my daughter and it came with only one key so our only choice was to have a new one made at a cost of $425 because the key and the car had to be reprogrammed.

    Glad you were able to get your spare key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Evalina. I have never lost a key outside, but last year when we went on vacation I put my car key somewhere in the house and still haven't find it. AND, that was a year ago.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a disaster. You poor thing. Now get another key as soon as possible. It does not cost quite as much if you already have one the same. May be you could get a key ring that responds to a clap or a whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad someone came to your rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek poor you! i've lost where i've put my car before here in the streets of Taipei, Taiwan took me an hour of walking to find the car, nearly did my head in :{ I know some people like to hide a spare key underneath the car just in case - i dont but perhaps i should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Evalina, I know how that can be! How fortunate your neighbor was able to bring you the spare. I have a funny? (not at the time maybe!) story about losing keys... I moved into my new apartment, carrying bags, boxes, and clothes in from my car. The next day I went to find my keys to go to the store and they were no where to be found!! I searched for hours! they had to be here as I was able to unlock my house. I searched high and low, rummaged through all the closets and the car and bags, on and on. Unfortunately, all my keys are together, house, car, and work. After six hours I finally gave up! I spent the next hour or so trying to remember what box the spare car key was in so I could at least get to the store. It wasn't until TWO years later when cleaning out a closet that they were finally found! Crazy! Now I keep duplicates! :) Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Losing a key is too frustrating, and simultaneously caring for your mother-in-law! Glad you had a reasonable outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad someone could come to your rescue with the spare key. How frustrating that must have been. At the clinic where I work there are a few keys in the Lost box, but no one has ever claimed them, one of them a car key! I do wonder how they went home? I usually like to hide spare keys, then can't remember where, so I now have a little note on the computer to remind me where I hid them...Old age!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh! I am so happy it ended well. God bless your neighbor's cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is so frustrating! Years ago, I went to the post office (which was in walking distance) and picked up a little parcel, that I really wasn't expecting. When I got home and opened it, there was my car keys. I didn't even know I'd lost them!!!!! Obviously hadn't used the car in a while and didn't even miss them. Thank heaven for TBVets key tags - anybody picking up keys with this tag on them, just puts them in a post box, they get sent to TB Vets, who match the number on the tag with the address in their files and mail them back to the owner. We've been supporting TBVets for nearly 40 years, this was the only time we needed them, but the assurance of knowing our keys will find their way back home is fantastic. Hope your keys will find their way home again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that for a little lost key! ...been there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness all ended well, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a frustrating day for you, Evalina! Yes, I have lost my keys before, even though I was sure I put them in my purse. I couldn't find them anywhere and luckily, my daughter had a spare and I made more copies. I finally did find my keys. They were in my purse all along, but there was a tear in the lining and the keys were between the lining and outer side of the purse!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm feeling you! I think we've all done that at one time or another. My husband and I are ALWAYS looking for our keys even at home. And we even have a special place for them marked "keys"! Why we don't always just drop them in there I'll never know! I'm learning to be more intentional about where I put things however, even telling myself "I am now putting the keys HERE!" hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have done that. It is so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most horrible feeling EVER!!!! I'm glad everything turned ok in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh, what a disaster that was. Hope you can get a new set sorted out. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. They mean a world to me, keep me inspired and motivated.